USAFA releases graduation event parking, bad weather info and prohibited items list
By U.S. Air Force Academy Academy Public Affairs/May 10, 2018
U.S. AIR FORCE ACADEMY, Colo. — The Air Force Academy’s Class of 2018 graduation ceremony is scheduled to start at 9:30 a.m. May 23 at Falcon Stadium.
A graduation ticket is required to enter the stadium and guests should arrive at the venue by 8:30 a.m. Gates to the stadium will close at 9 a.m.
Once graduation starts, guests will not be allowed to leave the stadium until the Air Force Thunderbirds’ aerial performance ends at approximately 1 p.m.
Travel, Academy access
The North and South gates at the Academy are scheduled to open to event guests at 6 a.m. and the stadium gates will open at 7 a.m.
Vehicles on a federal installation are subject to inspection. Drivers will need to have a current drivers’ license, proof of vehicle insurance and registration while on base. All adults must have valid identification to access the Academy.
Parking for the graduation ceremony will be in lots 1, 2 and 5 at the stadium. There are two handicapped parking areas for vehicles with handicap placards. Lot 5 is accessible through the North Gate, and Lot 1, a smaller handicapped parking area, is accessible through the South Gate. Handicapped-accessible transportation will be available from these lots.
Stadium seating, including handicap seating, is on a first-come, first-served basis. Falcon Stadium does not have elevators or shaded seating areas, and handicapped-accessible transportation is not available from the cadet area to the stadium.
Event spectators will pass through metal detectors to get into the stadium and may have their personal items inspected.
- Food must be carried in a clear one-gallon plastic bag. Refreshments will be available from vendors at the stadium.
- Drinks or liquid are not allowed except for with clear, sealed water bottles
- Sunscreen is restricted to one six-ounce non-aerosol container for each person
- Cameras are allowed but all camera equipment may be inspected
- Diaper bags are permitted for guests with children
- Strollers, aerosol spray (including aerosol sunscreen spray), boxes, alcohol, weapons, firecrackers, beverage containers, backpacks, large handbags, coolers, thermoses or similar items are not allowed
Visit www.usafa.edu/about/traditions/graduation/information to see the full list of restrictions.
If severe weather occurs, the graduation ceremony will move to Clune Arena in the Falcon Athletic Center. Only cadet families with tickets, distinguished guests and reporters who have RSVP’d with the Academy’s Public Affairs Office staff will be allowed in the arena.
The change in location will be announced by the Academy’s local media affiliates by
7 a.m. May 23.
Visit www.usafa.edu, www.defensetv.com, and www.dvidshub.net/webcast/11392 to see the ceremony online.