GETTING ON BASE
If you travel to the United States Air Force Academy by car, you will find that entrances are clearly marked. Public areas of the Academy are open to visitors and guests from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Visitors can enter through the North Gate (exit 156 on Interstate 25) and will need to provide one of the following:
- Military ID
- Driver’s License
- Photo ID
You might also be asked to show proof of insurance and valid vehicle registration. All vehicles are subject to inspection/search by security personnel. If you are driving a rental car, keep the rental agreement and current proof of insurance in the vehicle at all times. DoD ID holders can enter through the South Gate (exit 150 on Interstate 25).
Firearms are prohibited at all times.
DRIVING REGULATIONS ON BASE
- Seatbelts must be worn by all vehicle occupants.
- Follow all posted speed limits.
- Radar detectors are not permitted.
- Be alert for wildlife, including deer, elk and wild turkeys.
- Handheld cell phone use while driving is prohibited. A driver may use a cell phone only with a hands free device or if the vehicle is parked. Violators will be ticketed.
- Motorcycle riders must wear a Department of Transportation approved helmet with a strap and eye protection, sturdy over-the-ankle footwear, a long-sleeved shirt or jacket, long trousers, full-fingered gloves or mittens, and a brightly-colored and reflective upper outer garment.
- Bicyclists must wear helmets and reflective outerwear. Group riders must stay in single file with traffic on base roads.
- For safety reasons, due to the heavy traffic during major events at the U.S. Air Force Academy, cyclists must be off of the U.S. Air Force Academy roadways four hours prior to events at Falcon Stadium. All cyclists (DOD or otherwise) must be comply with this and failure to do so may result in a traffic citation.”
For more information, call the Visitor Center at 719-333-2025 or e-mail Community Relations.