Academic Success Center
Our vision is to support and encourage academic excellence in all cadets through faculty-led, personalized instruction that advances critical thinking, STEM and communication literacy, and learning strategies. The Academic Success Center (ASC) inspires cadets to pursue graduate education and become life-long learners.
To assist all cadets to become exceptional learners as they read, think, communicate, and lead men and women in the United States Air Force and Space Force.
The ASC offers programs and services designed to enhance academic success of every cadet at the Academy. Cadets can get help with time management, reading strategies, general learning skills, writing papers, delivering presentations, and preparing for graduate school. Formal courses, group seminars, and individualized help sessions are offered to assist cadets to reach their academic, professional, and personal goals.
Quantitative Reasoning Center (QRC)
The QRC provides supplemental instruction in select core quantitative disciplines in one-on-one and small group sessions to enhance student learning and motivation, especially for first and second-year students.
Communication Strategies Center (CSC)
The CSC intertwines the vital skills of reading, writing, and speaking to improve cadets’ critical thinking, communication, and analytical skills through three valuable resources: Writing Center, Public Speaking Lab, and Reading Strategies Program.
Strategies for Academic Success (SAS)
The SAS program prepares cadets for success in academic performance and life-long learning by teaching techniques to enhance the effectiveness and efficiency of studying. The SAS program also helps English as a Second Language (ESL) cadets and international students navigate the daunting world of academic discourse in a foreign language by providing targeted coursework in English for Academic Purposes and Reading Strategies.
Graduate Studies and Scholarships (GSS)
The GSS program assists the Dean of Faculty in selecting highly qualified cadets to attend graduate school immediately following graduation from the Academy. The GSS helps to increase cadet awareness of all requirements and tools needed to qualify and compete for graduate school scholarships and programs.
ACADEMIC SUCCESS CENTER HIGHLIGHTS
- From the “Rising Stars” working in the Learning Strategies Program to the “Super Stars” earning graduate scholarships, the ASC works with cadets from all 30 academic majors and 18 academic minors within the basic sciences, engineering, humanities, and social sciences divisions.
- The ASC supports nearly 5,000 annual cadet appointments across the combined resources of the Quantitative Reasoning Center, Writing Center, and Public Speaking Lab.
- Since 2021, the ASC’s Graduate Studies and Scholarship program has helped close to 20% of the graduating student body get placed into graduate programs.
ACADEMIC SUCCESS CENTER FACULTY AND STAFF
- ASC educators have subject matter expertise and regularly teach courses in academic departments, facilitate small group workshops, and provide extra instruction for individual cadets.
- The ASC is located on the first floor in the northwest corner of Fairchild Hall.
- The operating hours adapt to the cadet’s demanding academic, military, and athletic schedules.
- The ASC is open Monday through Friday from 7:30am to 4:30pm, and offers evening hours in the Quantitative Reasoning Center, Writing Center, and Public Speaking Lab on Monday through Thursday from 5:30pm to 9:30pm.
For more information about the Academic Success Center, please contact
Dr. Kerry McCaig
Director, Academic Success Center