Government Shutdown Impact Information
U.S. Air Force Academy Public Affairs, Jan. 22, 2018
As a result of the government shutdown, the following departments at the U.S. Air Force Academy will be affected:
10 AIR BASE WING:
SECURITY & SAFETY:
- Defenders & firefighters are exempted. They are on post and on shifts under normal schedules.
- Ambulance services are contracted and remain on shift and on site.
- Military personnel are on regular shifts, some key civilian providers and practitioners are exempted and will continue seeing patients and taking appointments.
- There will be impacts to provider and appointment accessibility.
- If possible, people will be referred to the Front Range provider network.
- Pharmacy operations service speeds will be degraded.
- High Country Inn and Mitchell Hall will operate as normal.
FORCE SUPPORT & MWR PROGRAMS:
- Child Development Centers operate as normal
- Community Center Library is CLOSED
- Community Center Fitness Center is CLOSED
- MPF remains open for processing identification cards, DEERS updates, etc. during normal operating hours
- Most MWR programs remain open
- Mortuary Affairs is exempted and the Casualty Assistance Representative can be recalled in an emergent situation
- Airman & Family Readiness Center is CLOSED, but provisions are in place to support Air Force Aid Society grant and loans should needs arise
- Arnold Hall will open at 7 a.m. and close at Taps (regular opening hours) but no theater support available
- Food Court operates as normal (e.g. Subway, Wing Zone, Polaris Perk)
- Cadet Media and KAFA Radio operate as normal
- Cadet Barber Shops operate as normal
- Cadet dorm management operates as normal
- Tailor shop, cadet issue, cadet laundry, cadet laundry service and cadet gym laundry are CLOSED through furlough end
LOGISTICS (No military personnel assigned):
- Impacted and service degraded.
- Personnel supporting deployers (some who are departing next week) are exempted and will be supporting readiness & deployment functions.
- Some services are contracted and will operate as normal.
- No medical or airfield shuttle services.
CONTRACTING (No military personnel assigned):
- Impacted and serviced degraded.
- Several personnel are exempted to ensure key contracts and oversight continue. Operation essential functions will continue.
- Anticipate impact. Many key IT areas are led, managed, and staffed with non-exempt civilian personnel.
EXCHANGE & COMMISSARY:
- All Exchange facilities are operating normal hours.
- Commissary is open for normal hours through Wednesday, Jan. 24.
DRUG DEMAND REDUCTION PROGRAM / URINALYSIS TESTING:
- Operates normally
- Minimal impacts; services and support functions will operate as normal
DEAN OF FACULTY: Classes will continue with remaining workforce
(minimal impact on teaching staff for 1 week duration).
- Classes will be taught by available military faculty. Furloughed civilian faculty will provide lesson plans and other information to substitute military faculty before leaving on Monday.
- Library will be closed
- All airfield ops are shutdown.
PHYSICAL EDUCATION CLASSES:
- Will continue as scheduled with military instructors teaching increased number of classes.
FITNESS AND TESTING:
- Will continue as scheduled
- Will continue as scheduled
- All Air Force Academy home and away intercollegiate athletic events have been cancelled until further notice.
- During a government shutdown, only Air Force Academy Athletic Corporation Contract Coaches and Military Coaches will be allowed to coach the AFA athletic teams in practices.
- AD can continue with contract, military and/or volunteer support
- Athletic Facilities will remain open for cadet use.
- Facility maintenance and equipment repair are contract and will remain open.
- SAPR support is available.
- Interfaces with dorm management, force support squadron, etc will take longer as CWT employees are furloughed (Facility Management, IT, Clubs, Sponsor program, Scheduling).
- CWC character and honor programs will run as normal with active duty only.
- Club competitions: All future funded TDYs are canceled.
STAFF JUDGE ADVOCATE:
- Legal Assistance appointments & walk-in notary services limited to active duty members who are deploying personnel and for emergencies