The Field of Study
The Department of Military and Strategic Studies seeks qualified, enthusiastic individuals to join our team, adding a distinctive experience to your career.
There are a limited number of civilian faculty positions in the department. Primarily we rely on our civilian facutly to provide continutiy and in-depth expertise. Applicants must hold a Ph.D. in a field relevant to military strategy and operations.
If your are interested in learning if there are any current positions open, please check at https://www.usajobs.gov/
We acquire new officers in two ways: the Air Force Assignment System (AFAS) and AFIT sponsorship.
I. Air Force Assignment System (AFAS): Qualified individuals typically hold an advanced degree in Warfare Studies, Airpower Studies, Political Science, International Relations, International Security, Space Studies, Strategic Studies, Military History, or a related field.
II. AFIT Sponsorship: We sponsor a limited number of highly qualified officers for doctorate deegrees in fields related to military strategic studies. Officers seeking sponsorship should have strong operational backgrounds. Those in non-rated ops career fields typically come from AFSCs such as space/missile, and intelligence; or mission support fields such as Civil Engineering, OSI, Security Forces, Communications, or Logistics. Officers in rated ops career fields such as pilot, navigator or air battle manager will also be considered on a case by case basis, but the extensive demand for members of these specialties in the operational Air Force takes precedence. Captains and junior Majors holding M.A.s in National Security Studies, Military History, or Political Science/International Relations are preferred for Ph.D. sponsorship.
If you are interested in appyling, please contact our personnel officer at the email address below to obtain current information on available slots and submission information required for preparing your application package.
Information your are required to submit to be considered:
1. Last 5 OPRs
2. Transcripts from Undergraduate/Graduate Work
3. Curriculum Vitae or One-Page Resume
4. GRE scores
Application timeline for AFIT Ph.D. sponsorship :
1. February—Advertisement goes out for applicants seeking sponsorship beginning in the summer of the following year.
2. 15 May—Applications due to the Department of Military Strategic Studies. 3. June-August--The department reviews applications for completeness, conducts AFIT eligibility checks, seeks AFPC release approval, and schedules interviews.
4. September-October—Interviews conducted by DFMI staff at USAFA
5. November—Final list of sponsorees announced
6. Spring—Orders generated
7. Summer—Sponsorees begin their AFIT program
If you are interested in using your knowledge, expertise and talents to help shape the future leaders of our Nation, we encourage you to contact us.