Circulation Desk: Library materials must be checked out from the Circulation Desk located near the West entrance, 3rd floor.
- Eligible borrowers: Cadets, military and civilian personnel assigned to the Academy. Other military personnel and civilians, upon application via letter to HQ USAFA/DFLIB, may be authorized to use the facilities for specific periods when sufficient justification is provided. Such use of facilities can't conflict with the library's obligation to provide materials and services to cadets, faculty, and staff. Library privileges are granted to a specific individual and are not transferable. Similarly, organizations external to the Academy may also be authorized use. In such cases, since the library card is not issued to a specific individual, privileges are generally granted to any individual presenting the card.
- Loan periods:
- Non-fiction: Instructional staff may have most items for the academic semester, subject to recall after two weeks if needed by another patron. All other borrowers have two week loan privileges.
- Fiction: Two weeks for all patrons.
- Government Documents: Two weeks for all patrons.
- Sound Recordings: Two weeks for all patrons.
- CD-ROMs: Three days for all patrons.
- Bound Periodicals: Overnight use by faculty and cadets only.
- Loose Periodical Issues: Generally not loaned; exceptions must be requested at the Reference Desk.
- Reference Materials: Generally not loaned; exceptions must be requested at the Reference Desk
- Special Collections Materials: Subject to separate policies; consult Special Collections staff.
- Renewals: Loan periods may be extended for checked out materials provided that the items are eligible for renewal (not overdue, not on Hold for other patrons, etc.).
- Hold Requests: When a patron needs an item that is already checked-out, they may place a Hold on that item so they will be notified when it is returned and available for use. This is a self-service process that can be done at any Public Catalog workstation.
Reserve Materials: Library materials which are REQUIRED READING for specific courses may be put on reserve upon the written request of instructional staff, or the library officer of an academic department. Reserve requests (Form 0-716) should be forwarded to the Circulation Branch (333-4664) at least seven days before an assignment begins. Loan periods are determined by faculty.
Interlibrary loan (ILL) is a service provided to obtain materials, which are not available in the USAF Academic Library. It is a courtesy extended by one library to another for the loan of library materials. Interlibrary loan service is available for individual research and course work to all faculty, staff, and cadets. Requests for ILL should be submitted on ILL forms (USAFA form 0-369) either at the Interlibrary Loan Office (3C11) or by using our electronic request system. Office hours are Monday-Friday 0630-1500. For further information consult The Interlibrary Loan Guide or call the Interlibrary Loan Office (333-4793).
USAFA staff may reserve either of two rooms for meetings or classroom instruction. Room 5A33 is temporarily unavailable while the CAT Team occupies space in the Library. Room 3B4, the Bibliographic Instruction Lab, is equipped with workstations for searching library databases/web sites and may be reserved for Library briefings or classroom use by phoning the Reference Desk at 333-4749/4406.
Reference Desk: A reference librarian is on duty all hours the library is open. Librarians assist users with information inquiries ranging from factual questions to complex research projects. Point-of-use instruction for online catalogs, CD-ROMs and other electronic databases is available. Librarians identify and locate materials on and off campus, provide reference service, and perform simple and comprehensive database searching. Reference Desk staff may be reached by phone, at 333-4749, or e-mail.
Database Searching: The Academy Library has access to a wide variety of electronic databases, indexing & abstracting tools and online search services for patrons to search directly. Phone 333-4749 for more detailed information.
- Library Instruction: Library staff is available to assist classes or other groups on using the library and its resources effectively. Assistance includes briefings on resources, tours, online catalog instruction, and searching electronic resources. Faculty may contact the Chief of the Reference Branch to schedule library instruction (333-4406).
- Research: Each academic department has a reference/subject librarian acting as liaison who is knowledgeable in the information resources for that department. A faculty member should coordinate with their subject librarian regarding specialized research or preparation of bibliographies. When a large number of cadets are to be assigned a special research project or paper requiring library resources, faculty members are strongly urged to contact the Chief of the Reference Branch or their subject librarian (333-4406) so that reference staff may arrange for bibliographic instruction and/or prepare resources in advance.
- Collection Development: As subject specialists, each Reference Librarian is responsible for selection of all materials in a variety of formats in his/her specific subject areas. They do so to support the USAFA curriculum and programs, and anticipate ideas and information that will become useful to future cadets. Every reader can and should influence the shape of the collections by giving requests for titles of interest (on USAFA Form 32) directly to the subject librarian most closely associated with the subject at hand or submitting book purchase recommendations electronically to the Collection Development Coordinator.