|United States Air Force Academy
Department of History
Welcome to the Department of History!
Our mission is “to teach history for the profession of arms.” We accomplish this through:
- Teaching two essential core courses in history to all USAF Academy cadets—History 100, Introduction to Military History, and History 300, World History.
- Offering 40 upper division history courses in US, military, and international history.
- Serving as mentors and academic advisors to history, humanities, and foreign area studies majors as well as to our students in the core courses.
- Sponsoring a number of exciting cadet activities relating to history, including cadet summer research programs, cadet clubs, graduate study opportunities for our graduates, heritage programs, and many other endeavors.
- Finally, seeking to develop our own faculty—both active duty officers and civilians—professionally and academically, in order to provide our cadets with the best possible instructors and role-models in and out of the classroom. We are indeed “serving two professions”: the military and the academic!
The History Major:
An understanding of history is a critical component to the training of capable, educated officers. The knowledge gained and the perspective developed are important to the education of the professional Air Force officer. The study of history involves critical thinking, analysis, writing, and oral presentations--all essential skills for any Air Force officer. In addition, the study of foreign cultures, evolution of technology, and military heritage can directly relate to many duty situations. History also provides a natural forum for discussion of great leaders, past and present, and these insights are invaluable to any future Air Force officer.
Click Here for general information on the USAFA Military History Symposium
|Last Updated: Jan -2013||