DR. THOMAS E. MCLAUGHLIN
Director, Aeronautics Research Center
PhD, Aerospace Engineering Sciences, University of Colorado-Boulder, 1992
MS, Electrical Engineering, Air Force Institute of Technology, 1986
BS, Electrical Engineering, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, 1982
YEARS SERVICE ON THIS FACULTY: 11
Associate Professor: July 2008
Assistant Professor: November 1994
Date of Original Appointment: December 1986
OTHER RELATED EXPERIENCE (Teaching/Industry/etc):
Contracted Research Associate, USAFA, June 1999- July 2004
Chief Engineer, Air Force Phillips Laboratory High Altitude Balloon Experiment, September 1992-November 1994
Nuclear Electromagnetic Pulse Research Engineer, Air Force Weapons Laboratory, January 1983-May 1985
PRINCIPAL PUBLICATIONS (of the last five years):
• C. Fagley, J. Farnsworth, C. Porter, J. Seidel, T. McLaughlin, J. Lee, and E. Lee. Open-loop Dynamics of Asymmetric Vortex Wake Behind an Ogive at High Incidence. International Journal of Flow Control, 5:59–77, March 2013.
• Fagley, C., Seidel, J, McLaughlin, T., Feedback Control of a Shear Layer for Aero-Optic Applications, International J. of Flow Control (3) #1, 1-18, January 2012.
• Seidel, J.; Fagley, C. & McLaughlin, T. Structure Identification in Turbulent Flows for Feedback Flow Control , Phys. Scr., 2010, 142, 014008
• G.I. Font, C.L. Enloe, J.Y. Newcomb, A.L. Teague, A.R. Vasso, T.E. McLaughlin, Effects of Oxygen Content on Dielectric Barrier Discharge Plasma Actuator Behavior, AIAA J. (49) No. 7, P1366, July 2011.
• Fagley, C.; Seidel, J.; Siegel, S. & McLaughlin, T. Reduced Order Modeling using Proper Orthogonal Decomposition (POD) and Wavenet System Identification of a Free Shear Layer; 2nd Active Flow Control Conference, Berlin, Germany, 2010
• G.I. Font, C.L. Enloe, T.E. McLaughlin, Plasma Volumetric Effects on the Force Production of a Plasma Actuator, AIAA J. (48) No. 9, P. 1869, September 2010.
• J. Seidel, S. Siegel, C. Fagley, K Cohen, Feedback Control of a Circular Cylinder Wake, J. Aerospace Engineering, 2009. Winner, Aerospace Industries Division’s 2010 Kenneth Harris James prize awarded by Institute of Mechanical Engineers (UK)
• C. Porter, A. Abbas, K. Cohen, T. McLaughlin, and C. L. Enloe, Spatially Distributed Forcing and Jet Vectoring with a Dielectric Barrier Discharge Plasma Actuator, AIAA J. (47) 1368-1378, June 2009.
• Seidel, J.; Siegel, S.; Fagley, C.; Cohen, K, McLaughlin, T. Feedback Control of a Circular Cylinder Wake , J. Aerospace Eng., 2009, 223, Part G, 379-392
SCIENTIFIC AND PROFESSIONAL SOCIETIES:
American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA), Associate Fellow
Eta Kappa Nu (Electrical Engineering Honorary)
Tau Beta Pi (Engineering Honorary)
HONORS AND AWARDS:
2004 National Academies Research Advisor
2002 Associate Fellow, AIAA
2001 Honorable Mention, Seiler Award for Faculty Research Excellence
1997 USAFA nominee for American Society of Engineering Educators Outstanding Teaching Award
1986 Distinguished Graduate, Air Force Institute of Technology
1982 Distinguished Graduate, University of Nebraska
Numerous military outstanding achievement awards
INSTITUTIONAL AND PROFESSIONAL SERVICE (in the last five years):
Director, Aeronautics Research Center
Discipline Director, Experimental and Computational Investigations
Reviewer of Air Force Research Laboratory-supported efforts in Russia, April 2007
Research proposal reviewer for Air Force Office of Scientific Research
Selection committee member for Frank J. Seiler Research Award, USAFA Small Grants
Instructor for pilot USAFA “First Year Experience” course in 2007-08
Academic Advisor, Class of 2006, 2009
PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT ACTIVITES IN THE LAST FIVE YEARS:
Member of AIAA Fluid Dynamics Technical Committee June 2005-June 2011.
Fluid Dynamics Chair for 2009 AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting, Orlando, FL.
Journal article reviewer for AIAA Journal, AIAA Journal of Aircraft, Experiments in Fluids, Journal of Applied Physics
Proposal evaluator for US Army Research Office, National Renewable Energy Laboratory, Air Force Office of Scientific Research
PERCENTAGE OF TIME AVAILABLE FOR RESEARCH/SCHOLARLY ACTIVITIES
PERCENTAGE OF TIME COMMITTED TO THE DFAN AERONAUTICS MAJOR