Lt Col Nicholas Hardman
PhD, Systems Engineering, Air Force Institute of Technology, 2009
MS, Aviation Systems, University of Tennessee, 2005
Experimental Flight Test Engineer, US Air Force Test Pilot School, 2001
MS, Electrical Engineering, University of Washington, 1997
BS, Electrical Engineering, Seattle Pacific University, 1996
US Air Force Academy, Associate Professor, Sys Engineering Program Director, 2011-2014,
University of Washington, Teaching Assistant/Lab Director, 1996-97, part time
US Air Force, Afghanistan, Joint Combat Assessment Team, Detachment Commander
Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Chief, Systems Engineering, C-5M Program Office, 2009-
Spanish Flight Test Center, Torrejón de Ardoz, Spain, Exchange Officer, Spanish Flight
Test Center, 2004-2006
Eglin Air Force Base, Flight Commander, Tactical Comm. and Surveillance Test Flight,
Eglin Air Force Base, Advanced Data Lead Engineer, Advanced Data Links Test, 46th Test
Edwards Air Force Base, Test Pilot School, Team Lead for T-38 flying qualities evaluation
Edwards Air Force Base, F-22 Combined Test Force, Special Projects Test Manager, 1999-
Edwards Air Force Base, Bomber Combined Test Force, Avionics Engineer, 1998-1999
CERTIFICATIONS OR PROFESSIONAL REGISTRATIONS:
Certified Acquisition Professional, T&E Level 3, SE Level 3, PM Level 1
Space Professional, Level II
Licensed Commercial Pilot
Certified Systems Engineering Professional with DoD Acquisition extension (CSEP-Acq)
CURRENT MEMBERSHIP IN PROFESSIONAL ORGANIZATIONS:
Eta Kappa Un
Tau Beta Pi
Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers (IEEE)
American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics
HONORS AND AWARDS:
Team leader for the following team awards:
• Acquisition Team of the Year, Mobility Directorate, '10
• Test Team of the Quarter, ITEA, '03
• Engineering Team of the Year, base-level, '02
• John J. Welch Jr. Award for Acquisition Management, Air Force-level '01
• Test Team of the Quarter, base level, '99
• Best Paper Award, International Council on Systems Engineering Annual International
• Systems Engineering Student of the Year, Western Ohio Region, '09
• Sigma Gamma Tau Aerospace Engineering Honor Society, '09
• Tau Beta Pi Engineering Honor Society, '07
• Eta Kappa Nu Electrical Engineering Honor Society, '06
• Communication/Information Officer of the Year, wing-level, '03
• Junior Officer of the Year, AFA, base-level, '02
• Company Grade Officer of the Year, squadron-level, '02
• Technical Paper of the Year Award, base-level, '00
• Company Grade Officer of the Quarter, group-level, '99
• Distinguished Performance Award, B-1B program office, '98
• Distinguished Graduate, AFROTC, 96
• IEEE Student Achievement Award, 96
US Air Force Academy Systems Engineering Program Deputy
US Air Force Academy Dean of Faculty Exercise Evaluator
US Air Force Academy Consultant for the Center of Excellence and Leadership Development
• N. Hardman and J. Colombi, et. al., "Requirements Elicitation through Legacy Mishap Analysis." American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics Journal of Aerospace Computing, Information, and Communication, (Accepted May 12).
• H. Hardman and J. Colombi, "An Empirical Methodology for Human Integration in the SE Technical Processes." Journal of Systems Engineering, July 2012.
• N. Hardman, "Aircraft Survivability for Counter-insurgensies." Aircraft Survivability Journal, Fall 2011.
• N. Hardman and J. Colombi, et. al., "RELAAy—A Tool to Examine HSI Requirements." Proceedings of the 2010 International Council on Systems Engineering International Symposium Best Paper award, July 2010.
• N. Hardman and J. Colombi, et. al., "An Evaluation of Collision Avoidance Technologies Using Empirical Function Allocation," International Journal of Applied Aviation Studies, Winter 2010.
• N. Hardman and J. Colombi, et. al., "Application of a Seeded Hybrid Genetic Algorithm for User Interface Design." IEEE SMC Symposium, San Antonio, Texas, Oct 09.
• N. Hardman and J. Colombi, et. al., "Persons in the Processes: Human Systems Integration in Early System Development." Proceedings of the 2009 International Council on Systems Engineering International Symposium, July 09.