DR. STEVEN A. BRANDT
PhD, Aeronautical and Astronautical Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 1988
MS, Aerospace Engineering, Iowa State University, 1976
BS, Aerospace Engineering, Iowa State University, 1975
YEARS SERVICE ON THIS FACULTY: 24
Associate Professor: 1994-2004
Assistant Professor: 1991- 1994
Date of Original Appointment: November 1990
OTHER RELATED EXPERIENCE (Teaching/Industry/etc):
1982-present: FAA-certified Airframe Mechanic and Repairman
1977-present: USAF Academic Instructor, Instructor Pilot and Flight Evaluator (3200 hours in T-37, T-38, T-33, F-106, and F-4 jet aircraft plus T-41 piston-engine aircraft)
1975-present: Designed, built, flight tested, maintained and operated all-aluminum two-place piston-powered experimental aircraft
1974-present: FAA-certified Instrument-rated Commercial Pilot
2011-present FAA Certified Flight Instructor and Instrument Instructor
Design consultant to OSD/DOT&E and Defense Science Board for design studies and configuration development on a full-scale 5th-Generation Aerial Target (5GAT) now in preliminary design for fielding by 2017. Led USAFA team that developed the design chosen for production.
Design consultant to the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) for design studies and configuration development of a robot wingman for the F-22. Led USAFA design team.
Design consultant and wind tunnel research team leader for development of a rocket-based combined cycle access to space hypersonic vehicle for ASTROX Corporation.
Design consultant to USAFA UAS program and BOSH Technologies for design, wind tunnel testing, construction and flight testing of a utility UAV for USAFA
Design consultant to USAFA/DFEC and Mitre Corporation for design of a 3-D printed UAV for military and civilian ISR
PRINCIPAL PUBLICATIONS (of the last five years):
• Steven Brandt, William Crisler, Ryan Forystek, Joshua Smith, “Comparative Evaluation of Butterfly and 4-Post Tails on a 5th-Generation Fighter Configuration” 11th AIAA Aviation Technology, Integration, and Operations (ATIO) Conference, 2011, 10.2514/6.2011-7040
• Steven Brandt, Willem Anemaat, Patrick Burris, Dennis Carter, “Fifth-Generation Target Drone Project Phase II” 11th AIAA Aviation Technology, Integration, and Operations (ATIO) Conference, 2011, 10.2514/6.2011-7013
• Dennis Carter, Steven Brandt, Dale Gsellman, Joseph Steffes, “Effects of Wing Sweep on Stability of a 5th-Generation Fighter Configuration” 11th AIAA Aviation Technology, Integration, and Operations (ATIO) Conference, 2011, 10.2514/6.2011-7037
• Steven Brandt, Mitchell Fossum, Martiqua Post, Scott Brenner, David Operchal, Nicolas Zimmerman, “Effects of Vertical Tail and Inlet/Strake Geometry on Stability of a Diamond-Wing Fighter Configuration”, 11th AIAA Aviation Technology, Integration, and Operations (ATIO) Conference, 2011, 10.2514/6.2011-7039
• Angela Suplisson, Steven Brandt, Kristin Henry, Nathan Rings, “Nonlinear Effects of Inlet/Strake Length and Vertical Tail Geometry on the Longitudinal Stability of a 5th-Generation Aerial Target Configuration”, 11th AIAA Aviation Technology, Integration, and Operations (ATIO) Conference, 2011, 10.2514/6.2011-7038
• Chase Guarnaccio, Matthew Thompson, Martiqua Post, Steven Brandt, “Investigation of Rocket Based Combined Cycle Design Modifications to Improve Cmo and Cm at Subsonic Speeds,” AIAA Paper 2012-2894, 30th AIAA Applied Aerodynamics Conference, New Orleans, Louisiana, June 2012.
• Steven Brandt, chapter titled “Small UAV Design Development and Sizing” in Handbook of Unmanned Aerial Vehicles, Springer Verlag, to be published in 2014.
SCIENTIFIC AND PROFESSIONAL SOCIETIES:
American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics
HONORS AND AWARDS:
Innovative Excellence in Teaching, Learning, and Technology Award at the 14th International Conference on College Teaching and Learning 2003
Tau Beta Pi Colorado Zeta Outstanding Instructor Award 2000
INSTITUTIONAL AND PROFESSIONAL SERVICE (in the last five years):
Adjunct Professor at USAF Test Pilot School, teaching two courses per year
Member Editorial Advisory Board AIAA Progress in Astronautics and Aeronautics Series
Member AIAA Aircraft Design Technical Committee
Member of GSA source selection panel for DoD cost study contract
PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT ACTIVITES IN THE LAST FIVE YEARS:
Certified as FAA Flight Instructor and Instrument Instructor 2011.