DEPARTMENT OF THE AIR FORCE
UNITED STATES AIR FORCE ACADEMY PREPARATORY SCHOOL
USAF ACADEMY, COLORADO
Colonel Gerald P. Szybist
5220 Cedar Drive, Suite 117
USAF Academy CO 80840-3100
Dear Cadet Candidate Select,
Congratulations! You have earned an appointment to attend the United States Air Force Academy Preparatory School! This July, you will begin a challenging and rewarding program that will strengthen your academic foundation, expand your know ledge of our profession of arms, refine your character, increase your confidence, grow your teamwork and social skills, and improve your physical fitness. Not all students graduate from the Preparatory School and secure an appointment to the USAF Academy, but those who do are historically well-prepared for the rigors of cadet life and are ready to be leaders of character in the United States Air Force.
Must Do Immediately:
1. Accurately complete the fonns and requirements found in your USAFA Selectee Admissions Portal. It is crucial that you complete these actions promptly to ensure you receive your travel orders. Additionally, print any required checklists and complete them.
2. The physical fitness portion of our curriculum is very demanding, especially because our altitude is over 7,000 feet above sea level! Begin a daily routine of jogging for 30 minutes to one hour and doing as many push-ups, sit-ups, and pull-ups as you can.
3. Read the FAQ pages for answers to commonly asked questions.
Remember : The Preparatory School is a military unit, and as a cadet candidate you are required to adhere to all Air Force standards. Respect for your fellow cadet candidates, faculty, and staff will be an absolute necessity. You will internalize our Core Values: Integrity First, Service Before Self, and Excellence in All We Do. Also, you have already signed a form listing any prior drug use and pledged not to use drugs. Be advised, the possession or use of drugs is prohibited for Airmen by the Uniform Code of Military Justice (UCMJ). During your 10-month assignment to the Preparatory School, expect to be randomly tested for drug use. If you test positive, you will face serious disciplinary action and disenrollment. Underage alcohol consumption and providing alcohol to minors are crimes and those involved in these offenses will be fully prosecuted under the UCMJ.
In-Processing: Parents and family are welcome and encouraged (but not required) to accompany you to inprocessing. While here, they will be briefed in detail about our program and have an opportunity to tour our facilities. Those unable to attend in-processing will have an opportunity to receive a similar briefing during Parent's Weekend (4 - 7 September). If you or your family has any questions concerning your paperwork or the Preparatory School in general, do not hesitate to contact us at (719) 333-2583.
Again, it is my pleasure to congratulate you on earning your selection to the USAF Academy Preparatory School. We look forward to helping you prepare to succeed as a member of the USAF Academy Class of 2020. Go Huskies!
Gerald P. Szybist, Colonel, USAF
Day of In-Processing Information
- Your admission letter signed by Dr. Prosseda will be your key to get on base. Please ensure your driver has a current Drivers License, Insurance Card, and Registration. Vehicles are subject to search by the 10 ABW/SFS.
- If you are delayed for any reason and will not arrive at the time required, immediately call 719-338-5648 to let the Prep School know. We will advise you what to do.
- Priors report to the Prep School between 1000-1200 on 12 July 2015 at the F-100 Static Aircraft (near dorms/West end of campus). Do not report any earlier than 1000.
- Directs report to the Prep School between 0730-0800 on 15 July 2015 (Use In-Processing map under general information)
You many find the following information useful as you plan your arrival to the USAF Preparatory School. Some lists, FAQs, etc. are under review while others are final.
- There are several fees/expenses required to pay by ALL Prep School students upon arrival at USAFA. Please note that these financial obligations should NOT be considered as a reason to not attend the Prep School - if you have serious concerns about finding the resources to cover these amounts we encourage you to contact USAFA Admissions or USAFA Preparatory School to discuss options.
- Textbooks: Exact Amount TBD - this will be updated NLT 1 July. The approximate amount will be $1400. This must be paid with check upon arrival at In-Processing. Alternatives for payment may be arranged on a case-by-case basis for a limited number of Selectees.
- Supplies: Males, $445, Females, $425. This must be paid with check, cash, or money order written to AAFES upon arrival at In-Processing. This fee covers items such as required undergarments, name tapes for uniforms, and required school supplies. This fee must be paid upon arrival at USAFA and cannot be paid later through advances in pay or other sources.
- Football Tickets must be purchased directly from the Air Force Athletic Department. Please go to Go Air Force Falcons. Parents and Cadet-Candidates can order season and single Parent’s Weekend Game tickets. Tickets must be purchased prior to the first USAFA football game in late August.
Click Tickets at the top
Click Promo Codes from the choices
- For those incoming students with financial issues, the Preparatory School will provide alternatives on a case-by-case basis. Please refer to the Selectee FAQs located above for information regarding fees, scholarships, and contact information in case of further questions/concerns.
National Guard and Reservists ONLY
*** ONLY DO THIS STEP IF YOU ARE SERVING IN THE US NATIONAL GUARD OR US RESERVES ***
- Have your command fill out the following 2 forms and mail them back. (See addresses at bottom of page.)
- Example: Guard And Reserve (DD368)
Public Affairs Release
- The candidate has to sign his/her name, print his/her name and write the date in the “talent” box. Everything else should be left blank. Bring this form with you to In-processing.
Association of Graduates Bed and Breakfast
- Students may take advantage of the bed and breakfast option the Association of Graduates (AOG) offers the night before in-processing. Students can sign up and the AOG will coordinate a ride from the airport, a safe place to sleep, and a meal for them to eat all for a very small cost.
- Association of Graduates Bed and Breakfast
USAFA Prep School
USAF Academy, Colorado, 80840
Welcome to the U.S. Air Force Academy Preparatory School! Please read and comply with all the instructions in the following documents to ensure a smooth transition when you arrive. If you have questions, please contact 719-333-2580. Print out the following information/checklists - all checklists must be printed out and completed prior to arrival at Inprocessing!